Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Blueberry Banana Bread


I have never been a huge banana fan other than if it is in banana bread. Little A does request bananas when we go to the grocery store and I, of course, always buy too many. Which means lots of over ripe bananas. I think I have 10 of them in my freezer currently! I am always looking for new ways to use bananas instead of the traditional banana bread. As much as I love it, I can only make it so many times so finding a new, yummy way to use the bananas is great!

When I found the recipe for the blueberry banana bread, I thought it was the perfect alternative to my traditional banana bread!! I have 10 quart size bags in my freezer filled with the blueberries we picked this summer. So not only am I using up the bananas, I am also using the blueberries! Score!

This bread is ah-may-zing!!! For real. I alone had eaten half the loaf within 1 day of making it. The bread is moist, is slightly sweet, and has the perfect amount of banana flavor. The juicy blueberries add just that little bit extra to take it over the top when you bite into a piece. The recipe doesn't skimp on blueberries either. Each slice of bread is LOADED with the berries. 

Have I mentioned that this recipe is insanely easy?! It literally took me 10  minutes to throw it together. How much better can it get? 


Blueberry Banana Bread
adapted from Eclectic Recipes

4 over ripe bananas
1 egg
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup unpacked light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup milk
2 cups self-rising flour**
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups fresh blueberries (or thawed, frozen blueberries)

1. Heat oven to 350*.
2. Mash bananas in a large bowl. Whisk in egg until well combined. Add in sugars and vanilla, mix until combined. 
3. Mix flour and cinnamon together in a separate small bowl. Alternate flour mixture and milk. Adding 1/2 flour mixture, 1/2 cup milk, then the rest of the flour mixture. Mix until combined. Fold in blueberries.
4. Pour into greased loaf pan. Bake 50-60 minutes until deep golden brown and set.

**If you do not have self rising flour, use this recipe as a substitute using all-purpose flour**



Now seriously, go try this recipe. You will not be disappointed!



1 comment:

  1. I love banana bread! I'll have to try this. I usually put chocolate chips in ours! Mmmmmm.....

    And I'm totally the same way, we always have brown bananas lying around! HA!

    ReplyDelete